How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am currently in receipt of Incapacity Benefit, DLA, and a

This answer was rated:

I am currently in receipt of Incapacity Benefit, DLA, and a private military pension, the total of which does not amount to anywhere near £9000.
I am currently paying tax on my pension.
Can u tell me if I should be paying any tax if my income is less than what the government deemed a person had to be in receipt of before tax was payable.


Can you tell me when you started to receive Incapacity Benefit and your date of birth please. Have you only recently started paying tax? Do you know what tax code is being used against your pension?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I started to receive incapacity benefit in 2001.

I started paying tax immediately I received my military pension sometime in 2008, cannot remember the date.

my dob is 29/4/52


Leave this with me while I draft my answer.

Hi again.

If you look here, you will see that Disability Living Allowance is not taxable.

If you have been in receipt of Incapacity Benefit (formerly Invalidity Benefit) since before 12 April 1995 for the same long term incapacity, it is not taxable. If you started receiving it after 12 April 1995, it is taxable after the first 28 weeks I'm afraid.

You should not be paying any tax if your total taxable income is £10,000 or less annually. As yours appears to be £9,000, you should call the tax office on the number here and ask them to review your tax coding for the current tax year 2014/15 and to amend it to 1000L (£10,000 personal allowance).

As you appear to have been paying tax since 2008, you should ask the tax office to review your tax position for each of the tax years 2008/09, 2009/10, 2010/11, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2013/14. They may tell you are out of date for tax years prior to 2009/10 as you will read under the heading "Making a claim - previous tax year" here but its worth a try. The tax allowance for 2009/10 and 2010/11 was £6,475, for 2011/12 it was £7,475, for 2012/13 it was £8,105 and for 2013/14 is was £9,440.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for answering my question. In view of your response I shall get in touch with my local tax office as I now believe I have paid tax for the last 6yrs wrongly.

thank you Tony. Excellent work.

Thanks and good luck.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you