How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

UK Capital Gains Tax - Entrepreneurs Relief. A business I started

This answer was rated:

UK Capital Gains Tax - Entrepreneurs Relief. A business I started in 2003 closed down in November 2012. I anticipate selling this business and the land that goes with it by November 2015 ie 3 years later. However I have to make a claim for relief before 31st January 2015. Do I make this claim with estimated proceeds of sale?

You don't make the claim for entrepreneur's relief for the tax year in which the business ceased unless you sold it during that tax year. The same applies to a business asset you may keep and sell within three years of the cessation of the business. Look under the heading "Claims" on page 1 of HS275 here.

The claim for ER is made for the tax year in which the disposal occurs. So, if you sell your business and the land in, say October 2015 which is within three years of the date of cessation of the business, and you meet all the other qualifying criteria as set out in HS275 here, you make the claim for ER for the 2015/16 tax year.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you