How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4944
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Hi i was self employed but packed my business in april 2010

This answer was rated:

Hi i was self employed but packed my business in april 2010 ,i was not making any money and could not pay my accountant,i thought that my accountant had finished off everything properly but it seems no tax return for 09/10 has been sent in ,i now face anagency trying to collect tax i do not feel i owe as it is an estimated tax bill plus late payment fines ,can you give me some help please ,i have been paying paye since june 10 thanks
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
You must appeal against the estimated assessment. You do this by a letter setting out the grounds for the appeal ie that the estimates are wrong. You must also rectify the lack of a 09/10 tax return by making one. Presumably you have a set of final self employment accounts.
However this appeal must be made to the relevant tax office, not some agency. Who exactly is dunning you for payment?
At this stage there is little more I can advise, but will be delighted to assist further if you wish to follow up on this thread.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi thanks, ***** ***** send appeal letter back with tax return for 09/10?

In the words of Shakespeare 'If it were done t'were best done quickly!' I would advise get the appeal letter off pronto. It will take you time to organise a 09/10 return form. If you have the latter to hand, however, by all means do it all in the same envelope. After all, it saves a 50p stamp.

Thank you for your support.