How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4964
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I closed my Limited company in May 2012 and my accountant at

This answer was rated:

I closed my Limited company in May 2012 and my accountant at the time stated I should get a tax rebate of about £2000. In addition my bank moved a balance of £300 to the treasury solicitor as my company was closed. I spoke to HMRC who said that as the company was now closed they could not access the records.
I have read that I would need to reopen my company at a cost of £100 pounds in order to pursue this matter further.
Is this correct or is there another procedure I could follow
David Sandham
former Director of DS111 Consulting Ltd
email *****@******.***
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
I fear that you have been poorly advised, which explains the stony silence from the accountant. I am of the opinion that you have little alternative but to reopen the company to unscramble the mess. Personally, I would have run the company down to a shell and merely sold the company on on say eBay, saves all the palava of formally closing it down. The days when you could let it go dormant and ask the Registrar to strike it off have long gone!
I am so sorry to have had to rain on your parade.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.