How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I was born in Republic of Ireland and worked there as school

This answer was rated:

I was born in Republic of Ireland and worked there as school teacher being employed by Department of Education in Republic. I have for many years resided in Northern Ireland . Having now retired from teaching I receive pension from R of Ireland which is subjected to tax under PAYE.
Am I exempt from U K tax on this source under the R of Ireland / United Kingdom Double Taxation Agreement.

Take a look here, here and here.

The Article 18 text in the third link replaced the original Article 18 text in the second link in the UK/Republic of Ireland double tax treaty in 1998. Paragraph 2 deals with pensions. As far as your teaching pension is concerned, if it is what is called a government service pension, it will only be taxable in the country of origin (Eire). It could only be taxable in the UK if you were both a resident of and a national of the UK.

You should check with your pension payer or the Eire tax office to confirm that your teaching pension is a government service pension. Not all teaching pensions in the UK are treated as such.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you