How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4800
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am the owner of three commercial properties in London and

Customer Question

I am the owner of three commercial properties in London and my loans were set on
a fixed rate for five years.Last year i sold one property and paid off substantial debt.There was
heavy penalties for doing this which were two amounts 1£80,000 2 £25,000.
Can i offset these penalties against my rental income ?
Best Regards
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
As you are not classed as a Developer/Trader, which from the tenor of you question is not the case, then the following method is the appropriate tax treatment:
If you do not have lots of properties and buy/sell continually, this will be regarded as "Capital Expenditure" and set-off against Capital Gains Tax at some future indeterminate date when you dispose of the relevant property. Fuller data is available from Taxation Web at.
If, however, you are a Developer/Trader, then these penalty charges can be offset against the rental received for the relevant property.
I do hope I have been able to assist you with your inquiry.