How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

We are a company registered in the Seychelles should we charge

This answer was rated:

We are a company registered in the Seychelles should we charge and therefore register for vat for our business in the UK
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
UK Registration of suppliers with no place of business in the UK
Here is HMRC advice on this subject:
'Overseas businesses with no place of business in the UK may nevertheless be making supplies in the UK and so required to register here. Further details about this can be found in Notice 700/1.'
Further details from Notice 100/1 indicates that:
'When do I have to register for VAT?
You have to register for VAT when the total value of your:
Taxable supplies
Distance sales
Relevant acquisitions
Goes over the current registration thresholds.
You have to register for VAT if you make distance sales into the UK of any excise goods, or relevant supplies, in the UK. (In these circumstances, there is no registration threshold).'
So you see that registration is necessary. When your imported goods clear customs they may be charged duty and VAT. This VAT is a input tax which can be reclaimed. The VAT you charge on your sales is the output tax and the difference between the two is the sum due or from HMRC.
I do hope I have helped thrown some light on your position. The initial notice in VATPOSG2400 does recommend consultation with HMRC before you start trading.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi it's a service we offer to gambling companies that are themselves usually domiciled offshore. It's just for the first time we had a UK registered client who wanted a vat invoice. Are we right in thinking that if we are supplying services to non UK registered companies but who have an office in the UK we do not need to be registered for vat, or so we need to be registered anyway

Thank you for your support.

The position for your type of organisation is highly complex, but if you are not making supplies over the VAT threshold, currently 81K pa, there is no requirement to register. Here is the HMRC advice on the matter:

'If your turnover of VAT taxable goods and services supplied within the UK for the previous 12 months is more than the current registration threshold of £81,000, or you expect it to go over that figure in the next 30 days alone, you must register for VAT.'

Should there be any danger of the limit being breached I would urge you to consult HMRC as to your position. If you do not have to register either because you are below the limit or are advised by HMRC to the effect that registration is unnecessary you should endorse your invoice with a note that your organisation is not registered for VAT. Thus customers know where they stands in the transaction viz a viz their own VAT account.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Stop sending me emails I have rated it and paid getting loads of emails it's anniying
I know, but I am not doing it! There is a well known Just Answer (JA) systems fault which is causing this and their analysts in San Francisco are working on the problem in at attempt at resolution. I myself reported it the other day to UK Moderators for JA following complaints from others of my customers. I am so sorry you are being pestered in this way, please don't shoot the messenger!