How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4963
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

dear sir my wife and i are in our middle seventy's we live

This answer was rated:

dear sir my wife and i are in our middle seventy's we live in our sons house in rush green we do not pay the rent, but i am concerned about how much the council tax is which we can not afford we have just received what i would call a threatening letter, saying please pay £220 by the 8th oct and if we can not pay this the instalments plain would stop then we would have to pay£1315.40 , the monthly payments are £170 which we can not afford in the first place and then said if not paid we will get a court summons for £93, last year my wife went through a major cancer operation and is trying hard to live with what she had done i wonder if we could be helped, thank you ***** *****,,
Hello John, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
May I suggest that the quickest way to solve your problems would be to go to your nearest Citizens' Advice Bureau. The CAB are well used to dealing with this sort of matter and have specialists on tap to assist.
It is possible that you and your wife may be entitled to Pension Credits just for starters. Again the CABs are well up to speed on this also. The CAB could possibly sort you out much faster and all in one go too.
The local authority is quite within their rights to demand full settlement of the whole year's council tax if monthly payments are not maintained. At this stage write them a holding letter saying that you \r wife has severe health problems and that you are taking fuller and better advice.
I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade, but maybe I have lent you an umbrella to get you down to the local CAB!
bigduckontax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.
As an afterthought the CAB can also guide you towards the other social security payments to which you may be entitled eg Universal Credit.