How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

As a Swiss resident living in Switzerland would I be taxed

This answer was rated:

As a Swiss resident living in Switzerland would I be taxed in the UK for income generated from property rental in the UK or income from non executive director role for a U K company ?


Even if you are non-UK resident, you may have to pay tax in the UK on any surplus of rental income over deductible expenses such as mortgage interest, repairs etc. Take a look here for a more comprehensive list of deductible expenses. You would also be subject to the rules of the non-resident landlord scheme which you can read about here. Assuming you are a UK national, you will be entitled to a personal allowance to offset against your rental income and other taxable UK source income.

Take a look here for information on the tax situation of a non-UK resident non executive director, in particular the last two paragraphs. There is some more useful guidance here. Fees for work carried out in the UK will be taxable in the UK. Where there is a mix of UK and non-UK duties, HMRC will need to be approached to agree a formula which can be applied to your situation to determine any fees not taxable in the UK.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you