How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4768
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have Multiple Sclerosis. I ceased working in 1991 and have

This answer was rated:

I have Multiple Sclerosis. I ceased working in 1991 and have received Incapacity Benefit and PHI payments from my employer since then. This year I was transferred onto ESA with no requirement to work.I have just received a letter from HMRC to say I have underpaid tax £910.00. They have added the ESA onto my PHI income for the calculation. Is this correct?My PHI tax code is 1000L.Thank you
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
Unfortunately, yes; here is Gov UK's information about taxable benefits:
'The most common benefits that you pay Income Tax on are:
The State Pension
Jobseeker’s Allowance
Carer’s Allowance
Employment and Support Allowance (contribution based)
Incapacity Benefit (from the 29th week you get it)
Bereavement Allowance
Pensions paid by the Industrial Death Benefit scheme
Widowed Parent’s Allowance
Widow’s pension'
So sorry to have to rain on your parade.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. Am now worse off than before. Was hoping I would've exempt as my original Incap Benefit claim was way back in 1991.
Yes, but the rules in this area are constantly changing. I am so sorry to hear of your predicament.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your excellent support.