How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4964
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have a limited company and I want to subcontract a small

This answer was rated:

I have a limited company and I want to subcontract a small proportion of the work I am contracted to perform to a former colleague who is self-employed. My accountant said I would have an issue trying to prove my colleague was self-employed vs being an employee of my limited company, and if the latter, I would need to obviously deduct tax and NIC among other things. As this person is self-employed is it up to me or them to prove their employment status if required and is this really an issue? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
If your sub-contractor can produce to you evidence that he is self employed then I would submit that you are in the clear and need not operate PAYE. This would cover you in the event of some future inquiry by HMRC. Always remember the acid test; an employee can be told what to do and how to do it, whilst a contractor can be told what to do, but not how to do it. If the relationship passes this test then that is an additional string to your bow to treat him as self employed.
I do hope I have helped you with your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Keith,

Chris here. Thanks very much for your rapid and clear response. I really appreciate it. In terms of evidence, presumably that would be their self-assessments, right? Anything else? That's a good point. I mean that would be more than enough evidence I should think. Is there anything in particular you would expect to see in their invoice to me? OR can it simply be "[services] completed on behalf of [limited company] by [name of colleague] for October 2014

In your experience would the HMRC ever want to know what work it was in particular?



I would expect to see a normal invoice for services to your company without any special annotations. The possibility of this documentation being investigated is rather remote.
I doubt if the detail of the work sub-contracted would ever be needed.
If your colleague can show you a copy of his HMRC self assessment tax computation this would further strengthen your position of treating him as self employed.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.