How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Does anyone here know the answer to this. I have a friend

This answer was rated:

Does anyone here know the answer to this.
I have a friend in the USA who wants to send me some money as a gift, is there an allowance on gifts to individuals from friends not family members, He thinks that in the states you can recieve up to $14000 dollars as a gift before tax occurs. and that you can give to individuals in a family, for example $14000 each to me my wife and our 3 children.
Does anyone know what the tax law is in the UK for this.
Many Thanks

The recipient of a gift in the UK is not liable for any UK tax on it. There may be Inheritance Tax implications for the donor's estate after they die but when a non-UK domiciled individual dies, only their UK based estate is liable to IHT in the UK and that excludes non-UK currency denominated UK bank or building society accounts. So, assuming your friend makes the gift from a non-UK source, it will be beyond the reach of the UK tax authorities.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you