How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5112
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Hi I have a small house that I rent to a a tenant. The rental

Customer Question

Hi I have a small house that I rent to a a tenant. The rental income £450/month is a little more than the mortgage on the property £400 but the with maintenance and insurance there is overall a small loss.I intend to buy a plot of land for a self build and have approached my lender for funds. I am told that they are unable to cons1ider further advances as I have not submitted tax returns in the last 3 years for the rental property. What do I need to do to amend the situation?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

You say the rental income is little more than the mortgage payments but with maintenance and insurance charges there is overall a small loss. Interest on loan is allowable as an expense but repayment of principal is not allowable as an expense because it is repaying of capital.

You should register for self assessment (if you are already not registered) and file the tax returns for past years.You say you have not filed a tax return for the past three years showing rental income but did you file a tax return otherwise prior to it.

If you are not registered for self assessment, you can do it online and the link is here

You should be mindful, you may be charged fixed penalty for late submission of tax returns to regularise your income and disclose income from other sources.

The fact there is no profit from rental income, you would not be subject to penalty and interest on late payment of tax.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Expert: replied 3 years ago.


I notice you have viewed my response to your question on non submission of tax returns and what you need to do to amend the situation (JACUSTOMER-7cisi7sb- Last Viewed on 10/13/2014 at 12:17 PM).

Just checking to see if you have any issues relating to your question that I may not have addressed. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get credited for it.