How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15976
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have been told ican have my current p/pension (41 03per month

This answer was rated:

I have been told ican have my current p/pension (41 03per month inalump sum from 1st of December asum of £4'491.95.what iwould like to know is how much tax would I have to pay on this(I don't pay anything at this time the tax code for this is 199p !hope you can help me George wignall

Is this a personal pension you have been taking monthly? If so, for how long? Would the lump sum be a one off payment, after which you would receive no further payment from the pension payer? Who has told you that you can take a lump sum?

Do you have any other sources of income? If so, how much are they before tax annually?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ihave had the pension for a lot years it is paid monthiy the lump sum is due on the 1st of December and that will be the end of it it was the pension holder co. who told me in a letter this month! ihave another small p/planof £60.02p per month plus my state pension!idont pay any tax at all !


Leave this with me while I draft my answer. There is a fair amount to get through so please bear witn me.

Hi again.

Take a look here for information on personal allowances for 2014/15.

If you were born after 5 April 1948, you can have a tax free income of £10,000 per tax year.

If you were born before 6 April 1948, you can have a tax free income of £10,500 per tax

If you were born before 6 April 1938, you can have a tax free income of £10,660 per tax year.

Some of the pension rules changed in March 2014 and will change again from 6 April 2015.

It's my understanding that if you have been in receipt of a pension for some years, that you cannot "cash it in" for a lump sum as you will read here under the heading "What if I have already taken a pension income?" so you need to be careful about the tax position and should clarify it with the pension payer and/or consult an independent financial adviser before you commit to anything.

Normally, when you decide to take your pension, you can take 25% in tax free cash and a smaller monthly annuity or take it all as a larger monthly annuity. Where the size of all your pension funds is small, £18,000 or less before 27 March 2014 and £30,000 or less from 27 March 2014, you have the choice to take it all as cash with the first 25% being tax free and the balance taxed with your other income for the same tax year, depending on the overall total.

It may be that there is something in the pension payer's rules that allows them to pay out a lump sum even though the pension has been in payment for some years and that would be the first time I've heard of such a mechanism.

You may already have taken some of the pension as tax free cash already in which case I cannot see how you can do that again. You would need to add the lump sum to your other private pension income and your state pension and if they total more than your personal allowances for the current tax year, you will pay 20% tax on the excess over and above your personal allowance.

Your other private pension pays you £720 per annum. Add that to 8 months of the pension you might be able to cash in at £41 per month which would be £328 and you have total private pension income of £1,048. When you add the lump sum of £4,491, you get to an income of £5,539. If your state pension takes your income for the year above £10,000, £10,500 or £10,660 depending on your date of birth, you will pay tax at 20% on the excess.

As I stated earlier, you ought to clarify the tax position as your pension payer understands it or take independent financial advice before you decide what to do as there are circumstances where a 55% tax charge can apply, though I doubt that in your case.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you