How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17111
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I have been given some artwork which I have sold to a friend.

This answer was rated:

I have been given some artwork which I have sold to a friend. Do I pay any tax on what I was paid for the pictures?
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you looked at the HMRC site then you must have read Personal possessions that may be liable to Capital Gains Tax when you sell or dispose of them include:
coins and stamps
You do not pay CGT on Personal possessions that are individually worth £6,000 or less at the time you sell or otherwise dispose of them. You did not say how much you received but if they were not (each not as a whole) worth more than £6,000 you do not report or pay tax on the sell.
If any of the paintings were worth more then you work out the gain for each. The cost (to start with)of a gift made after 31 March 1982 - you use its market value when it was given to you.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you