How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17645
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

Redundant last year and made contribution to company pension

This answer was rated:

Redundant last year and made contribution to company pension scheme as an AVC. Money was taken out before tax applied.
No tax rebate was added by pension company as no tax was paid on this amount.
However I can't see where this contribution could be entered on the Self Asssessment form.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
AVC payments are deducted from your gross pay before tax is applied. You therefore receive tax relief at source, in exactly the same way as your normal contributions. Currently, you do not have to include details of these AVC payments on your self assessment form if you are required to complete one of these. However, if you make payments yourself to an external policy, for example a Free-Standing AVC or Personal Pension, then you do need to include those contributions on the assessment form.
In short if this was paid into your pension then you do not have to account for it if you file a Self Assessment.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the prompt reply however as I see it if I enter the total amount of redundancy payment received including the payment to the AVC on the tax return I will be taxed on this sum at At the full rate.
Somehow I have to note this payment on the self assessment form so. I only get taxed on the amount of the redundancy payment minus the sum paid to the AVC
You are correct you would not be including the pension contribution in the taxable amount. Your employer would not have included that either on your P45.
It should not be included in your payment. This would not be reflected against your taxfree amount either.
If your employer did not reduce the pay amount by the contribution you need to contact them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the clarification. Looks like I have to contact my ex employer to get them to reduce the amount shown on my P45 so it doesn't include the amount paid into the AVC
Hi Barrie,
If the payment was made to your pension scheme directly it would not be included in your taxable payment.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately it was, they had a history of getting things wrong and had to reissue p11d's two years running as they forgot to add the company car and fuel allowance.
Thanks for the help
That is unfortunate. I sincerely ***** ***** works out for you so you can have things reported correctly.
You are most welcome.
My goal is to give you excellent service.