How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14165
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

If my child is taken into care, do I continue to receive child

Customer Question

If my child is taken into care, do I continue to receive child benefit. I do, after all, retain parental responsibility.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer..
The first 8 weeks sees you remaining entitled to the child benefit - but after this unless the child spends at least 24 hours at home each week, then child benefit ceases.
You should advise HMRC (Child Benefit) if and when your child goes into care, along with any other benefit claim organisations or tax credit office.
Let me know if you have any follow up questions