How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14194
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have retired but still work as an hourly paid lecturer at

This answer was rated:

I have retired but still work as an hourly paid lecturer at my old university, where they take off my tax and NI contributions. I also do some private teaching and need to know how I go about paying the tax on this. I think this is called freelance teaching so I don't think I need to pay any more NI contributions but am not sure.
Thanks for your question. I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
You will need to register as self employed for the private teaching, and I have added a link here which allows you to register this via HMRC online.
After each 5th April HMRC will then request that you fill in a self assessment tax return, on which you will declare ALL income for each year.
They will then advise what tax you owe which has to be paid by the following 31st Jan (at the latest)
If you are 65 or over, then you will have no National Insurance to pay, but if you are under, then National Insurance (Class 2 and Class 4)may still be due on this self employment, unless you already exceed the higher rate of contributions through the university lecturing.
The higher rate is £41,450 or your self employed income is less than £7755 (when you will be exempt)
Let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you