How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Hello again If I sell one of the properties to a friend and

This answer was rated:

Hello again
If I sell one of the properties to a friend and keep 25% in the property by giving them the deposit, from the sale, so they own 75%, how would this work?
bought 100
spent 50 on improvement
sell for 200 but give back 50 (25%)

I'll have a look at this and get back to you.
I don't see why you don't just sell a 75% share in the property instead. In that case, only 75% of the cost would be allocated against the disposal proceeds. Whatever you do, there is no getting away from that. A solicitor would draw up documentation that sets out the ownership percentages.

Unless your ownership of 25% was formalised HMRC would probably assume you had sold all your interest. Giving back 25% to the buyer would makes things messy in my opinion.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately my friend needs to get a mortgage, so therefore he gets the 75% of purchase from a mortgagee and I leave the 25% in as the deposit.

From the mortgage point of view they will see it as one transaction with the deposit either coming from a "third party" or directly from me, pre sale.

We will definitely have something drawn up from a solicitor and put on the land title spelling this out

That explains things.

You can either sell 100% of the property to your friend and have the £25,000 secured on the property as a loan or sell 75% of the property and have yourownership of 25% documented. You will still have a gain if you sell 75%.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so to keep it simple

If I bought for 100 sell for 150 but loan 50 towards the purchase and document 25% still belongs to me, will I still have a gain at the time of sale?

If you sell 75% for £150,000, that 75% will have cost you £75,000 for the purchase and £37,500 for the improvement, you will make a gain of £37,500.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you