How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14154
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Hello. I have just returned to the UK (in late September) having

This answer was rated:

Hello. I have just returned to the UK (in late September) having worked in the UAE for 2 years. I am now self employed and am worried that I shall be charged tax for the whole financial year April to April when I was a non UK resident for half of it (ie April to end of Sept). Can you advise me please? Many thanks
Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
As you were out of the UK both working and living for more than a full tax year (which is the period 06/04/2013 to 05/04/2014) then you will be treated as not resident throughout and NOT liable to tax on this overseas income, as long as your visits back to the UK did not exceed more than 90 days for the full tax year (and pro rat'd) for each part tax year)
This being the case, then HMRC split the tax year of return (and the year of departure) so are only interested in the income you earned from the date of return to the UK (Sept 2014) to 05/04/2015 and will award you the full amount of personal tax allowances to this part year.
So on the 2015 self assessment you will just declare your self employment and that's all.
However if you did exceed more than 90 days visits back to the Uk in 2013/2014 OR think even on a pro rata basis you may have exceeded the limit for 2012/2012 or 2014/2015 then please advise, as this will change the advise given.
let me know if you have any follow up questions
Sam and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you