How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15975
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Good Evening, I an a self employed electrician and plumber.

This answer was rated:

Good Evening,
I an a self employed electrician and plumber. I have private medical insurance so that can have quicker treatment if a debilitating accident occurred and I find that the physiotherapy for minor accidents (under the insurance certainly helps me get going sooner and increases tha amount of work in the year.
Can I put the medical insurance, that provides these benefits and helps me get back to work sooner, down as an allowable expense?


I'm afraid not. The cost of the private medical insurance is not "wholly and exclusively incurred for the purposes of the business" and so it does not constitute an allowable expense.

If you ran your business through a limited company, your company could pay it and get a deduction for it in its accounts but you would be taxed on an employment benefit and the company would have a Class 1A National Insurance Contribution liability.

I'm sorry my answer is not a positive one. Let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you