TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I have been offered a job as a consultant. Can anyone help

I have been offered a job as a consultant. Can anyone help with how this is taxed?
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are not an employee but you are offering your services as a consultant then you would be self employed. If you work for yourself in the UK, or set up your own business in the UK, you are 'self-employed'. You must register with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and pay your own tax and National Insurance.
If you do not have a National Insurance number, you will need to apply for one by phoning Jobcentre Plus on Tel: 0845(###) ###-####
If you work for yourself you pay tax by filling in a form called a Self Assessment tax return once a year to tell HMRC what you have earned.
You usually pay Class 2 National Insurance contributions to HMRC directly and Class 4 National Insurance contributions through Self Assessment by completing your tax return.
The following is an url for self employed individuals:
https://www.gov.uk/working-for-yourself
You will first need to determine that you will not be an employee.