How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5145
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

When calculating my expenditure for a tax period, do I have

This answer was rated:

When calculating my expenditure for a tax period, do I have to divide my expenditure by 50% between my wife and I, although my wife does not work and is therefore a non tax payer?

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Please expand on your question.. expenditure relating to what?
Are you in business etc?

Is this relating to taxation in the UK or in Germany?

Many thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The tax is in relation to the UK and I'm preparing to complete my Self Assessment on line. I'm completing a Short Tax return declaring my Army Pension and Tax Paid, my Civil Service Pay and Tax Paid, but the reason for my question is that my wife and I have our house in the UK let through a Letting Agent, therefore all my expenditure for our House: Insurance, Interest on the Mortgage, Gas Certificates, does this all have to be divided by 50%

Thank you for your prompt reply.

If the property is in joint names, then you have to declare your share of the rental income and expenditure 50:50 as HMRC would deem it to be held in equal share.

If you wish it to be considered differently, then you have to fill in Form 17 - declaration of beneficial interests in joint property and income. You have to support the claim with a statutory declaration or a deed confirming different financial interest in the property

More information on Form 17 can be found here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you