How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am selling a buy to let property soon, and have been told

This answer was rated:

I am selling a buy to let property soon, and have been told if i invest the profit in another property I will not be liable to pay capital gains tax?
Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
I am afraid that's not strictly correct, there is procedure called business asset roll over relief, but this applies to business that trade, whilst this is just rental income on property.
There has been case law that saw this decision overturned by the Upper Tier Tribunal on one appeal of rental income and UK property, but this was due to the fact that a house (that had been converted into 10 flats)and owned by a limited company, also saw the management of the property generating costs, so was argued successfully as a trade, not just rental income.
But I am sorry to say this dos not apply to you.
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Sam,

That is what I thought, thank you for the confimation.



Hi Joy
You are very welcome, Im only sorry the news is not more favourable.
If I could trouble you to rate the level of service I have provided, it would be appreciated, as this ensures Just Answer credit me for my time.