How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

my wife and I own a second house in the UK. I am resident

This answer was rated:

my wife and I own a second house in the UK. I am resident and domiciled , so I pay taxes. My wife is resident but not domiciled and pays taxes somewhere else. Does my wife have to pay her share of the capital gains tax if we sell the second house?


As the property is in the UK and your wife is resident in the UK, her share of any gain you make from the disposal of that property will be liable to CGT as yours will be, subject to reliefs if it has ever been your main home or let as a furnished holiday let.

A non-UK domiciled but UK resident individual can elect not to pay UK tax on non-UK source income and gains that they do not bring into the UK under the remittance basis of assessment rules which you can read about in RDR1.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you