How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Hi. I am a seafarer and have been on board a vessel for the

This answer was rated:

Hi. I am a seafarer and have been on board a vessel for the last fiscal year. the total days worked on board were 208. the rest was spent on leave in the UK. the vessel was at work in Italian waters. do i qualify for UK tax relief but as i was working in Italian waters do i have to pay there?

Can you tell me what type of ship you were working on please. When exactly did you start the job on the ship? Do you have a record of the exact dates you left the UK and the dates you returned to the UK. If so, would you let me have a list of those please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i started at the beginning of April 2013 and have all the required flight tickets and seamans book entries needed. I was on two different working Tug boats of the coast of Italy. I only spent 73 days in total back in England which never exceeded 30 days at one time. I dot have any of these as my accountant has them but this is the first time they have dealt with a seafarers tax return.


Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok. many thanks.

Hi again.

If you had the records to hand I'd be happy to do the calculations. However, as your accountant has these, I'll tell you how to do it and link you to relevant information. Your accountant should be able to use the links to do the calculations. They could easily be done on a spreadsheet.

Take a look here and here. The order of days spent in the UK and offshore and the number is ***** as you need to do a running calculation to ensure that you do not break the sequence of qualifying days and have to start again. At its most basic, you should do the calculation in 1b here. For a complete assessment of whether you have met the required criteria to qualify for the seafarer's exemption or not, you or your accountant needs to follow the instructions in HS205 and complete the boxes on pages 4 and 5.

I cannot tell you about your Italian tax position as I'm not an expert on Italian tax but they have rules around how long you can spend there before becoming tax resident and they may have a similar relief for their seafarers. There is some information on Italian tax here. I doubt you have become a tax resident in Italy.

I hope this helps but let me if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you