How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am currently working in Saudi Arabia since Aug 2014. So in

Customer Question

I am currently working in Saudi Arabia since Aug 2014. So in a split tax year. I do not pay tax on my earnings here and was on an annual contract. I understood that I need to stay out of uk for 20 months to cover a full tax yr and that earnings would then not be subject to uk tax. I now have an opportunity to go to the carribean on a new contract based out of Trinidad. Where I will be subject to 30% tax paid by my employer. I wanted to confirm the position I am currently in prior to accepting the role .I understand a dual tax agreement is in place with Trinidad and wanted to ensure that I would not be subject to any additional uk tax on my money earned in the carribean . Also what happens to my monies earned in Saudi.
1. If I stay abroad until after the 2015/16 tax yr then return to UK
2. if I return prior to completing a full tax yr whilst working in the carribean
I have filled an i85 in and submitted prior to coming to Saudi
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.


I assume the form you completed was a P85, not an i85.

1 Given that you left the UK in August 2014, so long as you stay as a non-UK resident until at least 6 April 2016 and work the required number of hours as set out in RDR3 here, you will not have to pay UK tax on your Saudi earnings or your Trinidad earnings.

2 If you return to the UK before 6 April 2016, all your earnings from both jobs will be taxable in the UK but you will get credit for any tax you pay in Trinidad under the terms of the double tax treaty here. The bare minimum for non-UK resident status is a full tax year outside the UK.

You need to avoid breaks from work of 31 days or more.

The notes here and the flowcharts here may be useful in helping you stay as non-UK resident.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.