How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have an income £34750 that includes £7117 old age pension,

This answer was rated:

I have an income £34750 that includes £7117 old age pension, my personal allowance is reduced to £10000 because of my income and the for tax purpose further reduced to £2830 to cover the tax not paid on my old age pension.
I have had a Distribution Bond for 18yrs,initial input £20000 which has now accumulated to £55000, no 5% distributions have been taken over the 18yrs.
I wish it encash the bond.
Will I have to pay any income tax at this time on the bond and how is this calculated.

Can you tell me if you are married and, if so, were you or your spouse born before 6 April 1935? Is the balance of your £34,750 income that is not state pension an occupatiopnal pension?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am married. Born 1944 spouse 1946
£26478 occupational pension rest is taxed interest on bank accounts plus the old age pension. I gave you an incorrect tax code figure it is £2284!

Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Hi again.

You should refer to HS320 and HS321.

If you surrender the policy for £55,000 having invested £20,000 18 years ago and you made no previous withdrawals, there will be a chargeable event gain of £35,000, £1,944 for each completed policy year.


If the policy is a UK policy, then the gain of £35,000 will be deemed to have suffered tax at the basic rate of tax of 20%, £7,000.

You will only have tax to pay on the gain if your income for the tax year during which you surrender the policy (let's assume 2014/15) including the "top-slice" of the gain, £1,944 in your case, exceeds £41,865. Assuming your pre-tax income for 2014/15 is £34,750, you will not have any higher rate tax to pay on the gain as if you add £1,944 to £34,750 you get £36,694 which is less than £41,865, the 40% tax threshold. As a UK policy gain is treated as basic rate tax paid, you have no further tax liability.


If the policy is an offshore policy, then the gain of £35,000 will be deemed to have suffered no tax.

You will have tax to pay on the gain as no tax is treated as having been paid on an offshore policy gain. You add the top-slice of the gain to your income to determine your top tax rate. In your case, it will be 20%. So, your liability will be £6,998.40 (£1,944 x 20% x 18).

The calculations above assume that you are the beneficial owner of the policy and that it is not in joint names.


HS320 and HS321 mention personal portfolio bonds. I doubt very much that your policy is one of these. These produce a gain at the end of every policy year regardless of withdrawals and so they are not as widely held as the regular type of policy. If you had a PPB, you would have been sent a gain certificate at the end of each policy year and HMRC would have been notified also. There is an example of a gain calculation on a PPB here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you