How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14155
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

i havent returned my tax for 2009-10, 10-11,11-12 as i thought

This answer was rated:

i havent returned my tax for 2009-10, 10-11,11-12 as i thought an agent had done this for me, now im facing large fines for late returns, im no longer self employed from jan2012 what can i do?


Thanks for your question. I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

First, if HMRC are not aware, write to advise that the self employment cased in Jan 2012 - this should allow them to agree that the tax return for 2012/2013 and 2013/2014 need not be completed. But advise them that you had every reason to believe that the accountant you had engaged had filed these earlier returns for you and you are pursuing this matter with them. Whilst this in itself, is sadly, not grounds for appeal to have the penalties reduced to NIL, if you have evidence of the fact that the accountant advised these had been filed AND had not received any correspondence from HMRC (because it was going to this accountant)until now, then they might look at whether there is blame to attributed to the accountant and consider this further (but this I must advise is very rare)

Second - get those returns in which might require you engaging another accountant, if you feel the need, this will prevent the penalties from getting any larger, and also show you are rectifying the situation quickly. Thirdly, I would send a letter first to the original accountant, by recorded post, detailing the position, provide them with a copy of the demand for penalties from HMRC for 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 and 2011/2012 and state that as they led you to believe these tax returns had been filed with HMRC, you are looking to them to make good the costs arising and the fees you paid for the work you were assured had been undertaken. Also provide in this letter copies of any evidence you have of their invoices detailing the work undertaken for those returns. Ask them to respond to you within 5 working days, or you will take further action. Keep copies of your correspondence to them. In the meantime try and establish whether this original accountant works within a partnership, and whether they are affiliated with an accounting body, as if you do not get a reply within the 5 working If you get no respond with 5 working days, then if there is a head partner to the accountants, write to them (recorded post) with copies again of the paperwork (and a copy of the letter you sent to the original accountant) Again give them 5 days to respond. If there is no reply with 5 days - or this is not a partnership/limited company with the head accountant, then write to the accountancy body this accountant is affiliated with. Ask them to investigate and advise within 5 working days

If there is no head accountant and no affiliated accountancy body, then you need to take advise from a solicitor that specialises in clams against unacceptable work (or you can file yourself but there is a limit on the amount you can pursue - which I believe sits at £10,000

Let me know if you have any follow up questions on the information I have provided. Thanks Sam

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the only correspondense i have with regards ***** ***** agent are text messages. i payed him cash for his services and dealt with him in person. would text messages stand as proof?

Hi David
Thanks for your response
Were there no contracts signed or acknowledgement of work being undertaken at the first meeting?
Do the texts advise what work has been and what you owed in fees? But you would need to consult with a solicitor (we are tax experts on this part of Just Answer forum, rather than legal specialists) for advise as to whether they constitute a legally binding record that can be used on law.
There is a UK law forum also on Just Answer, if you wish to pursue this point further.
In the meantime, let me know if you have any follow up questions, but if you could rate/accept the service provided, it would be appreciated as this ensures Just Answer credit me for my time.
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you