How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am 81 years old and

Customer Question

I am 81 years old and have received my Annual tax summary. On it under your taxable income is an amount shown as total income from employment. I haven't worked for many years how come this "income from employment" Please can you explain. Thank you. B XXXXXX

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

This site is not connected with HMRC so I cannot see what you are looking at. I may be able to help but I need you to confirm that you wish me to do so before I continue. If you wish me to continue can you tell me what the figure is please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the figure is 1484.38

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

The document you have is probably a P800 tax calculation. The code at the bottom left of the form will tell you.

If you haven't worked for a number of years and you did not have earnings of £1,484.38 in the 2013/14 tax year, then you need to contact the tax office on the number here, tell them that you don't recognise that figure and ask them to check it while you wait. They will either confirm that they have made a mistake and rectify it or tell you what the source of the income is.

I cannot check this for you as I don't work for HMRC so I have no access to you tax file. All I can do is advise you what you need to do in circumstances such as these. I had a case similar to yours last week and that individual contacted the tax office and got the problem sorted out as soon as he called the tax office. I'll be happy to advise you further once you have spoken to HMRC and have heard what they have to say if you still need help.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Sorry I am not happy with your reply. You have not answered my question merely passed me on to the tax office.I could have phoned them myself. I do hope you refund my £33. The form is not the one to which you refer but as I stated is the first ever Annual Tax Summary.


Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.
As I said I do not have access to your tax file and I pointed that out in my initial response and asked you if you wished to continue. I will ask juts answer to refund you but please don't expect me to do anything other than I have done in my 35 years in tax without complaint.