How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4795
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am late filing my tax return. I have 2 to do but completely

Customer Question

I am late filing my tax return. I have 2 to do but completely clueless. I need some serious help.
I have periods-
i completed my ct600 accounts filing back in July which were submitted straight to companies house so cant understand why the tax return bit didn't go through, unless I didn't fill out the 2nd half. Please can someone help as when I go back to submit online it says I need to fill it all out again and I dont want to submit it all again, is there another way I can submit now i've signed up for online? Also need help on what to enter..
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
I will try to assist. CT600s are a nightmare to complete compared with the old paper versions which used to take me 10 minutes maximum to submit in the old days. Some fields will accept a zero when it is valid and others only a blank instead of a zero. There appears to be no rhyme or reason behind this. Also the layout is utterly alien to any normal method of accounting and frankly does not provide for any degree of simplicity. I absolutely detest completing and submitting them and breathe a sight of relief if I can get them through! However, the facility to file accounts with Companies House is, I will admit, most convenient and I always use that link.
Right, so down to business. Firstly ensure that your company accounts are completely and utterly locked up, no discrepancies between balance sheets and profit and loss accounts, brought forward and carry forward totals seem a constant Tom Tiddler's ground for rejections. What you have clearly done is let the Companies House abbreviated summaries go forward, but not the Corporation Tax element. There is only one solution, you have to go back and make the returns again ensuring that you follow all the links correctly. There is simply no other solution to your problem. Having done that you may be out of the woods, but still liable for penalties for late submission of the older return.
I am so sorry to have to bring you such dismal news. You are, I regret, in for a couple of hours of pounding your computer in your battle against the HMRC system. I can only wish you the best of fortune in your re-run.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi thanks for your answer, do I have to complete the company accounts sections all over again aswell? :(

Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
I am afraid so, the whole operation is a frightful bore, but if you are lucky you may find that data already there when you go in again which makes life much easier. I found that when I inadvertently failed to exercise the Companies House option on a couple of sets of accounts I did.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Trouble is I have another problem :( I think I may have entered both amounts on the 5/10/13-31/10/13 and not entered any accounts on the other one. This is because when I go back into the 1st one it says Im not signed up for webfiling :/ does that mean I can't change it? IF I submit is al again priperly will this go to companies house again? I'm so bloody confused with all this I'm realy worried
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
It will only go to Companies House if you elect for that option. In any event it does not matter as CH will merely substitute the later for the earlier version.
To correct tha first one it may be necessary to re-apply for web filing.
Please don't forget my rating.