How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15975
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Our son is renting a flat from us and we wish to sell it to

This answer was rated:

Our son is renting a flat from us and we wish to sell it to him at a significantly discounted price. It cost about £120,000 originally, we are not sure of the value but probably 200,000. We will sell to him for something like 100,000. We have a buy to let mortgage to pay off of about 100,000. What are the CGT and stamp duty implications of such a transaction and is there a tax efficient way of doing it? (We do have spare cash and could pay off the mortgage first)

Leave this with me while I take a look and draft my answer. It will take a while so please bear with me.

Hi again.


As you and your son are "connected persons", you will be treated as having sold the property at its full market value for Capital Gains Tax purposes so you will have have a gain of about £80,000, £40,000 for each part owner. Assuming this property was never your main home, the only deduction you will qualify for will be the annual CGT exemption of £11,000 so you will each have a taxable gain of £29,000. There are two rates of CGT, 18% and 28%. The rate or combination of rates that you will pay CGT at will be dependent on the sum of your individual incomes and your respective shares of the net taxable gain. The mortgage is irrelevant as far as CGT is concerned.


The difference between the market value of the property and what your son pays for it will be a gift for Inheritance Tax purposes. So long as you live for at least seven years after making the gift, it will not form part of your respective estates for IHT purposes.


Take a look under the heading "Receiving land or property as a gift or from a will" here.

If you sell the property for £100,000, there will be no stamp duty as the cash consideration will be less than £125,000, notwithstanding the fact that the property is worth £200,000.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** Shame, isn't it.

How would we assess the value for CGT purposes? Do we have to show some specific form of evidence?

My son will be getting a mortgage - will the value placed on by the bank be the official value?

You will need to get a couple of professional valuations so that you have something to show HMRC if they query the "disposal price" via the District Valuer. The bank value won't necessarily be the official value.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you