How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Hi. I am a female. I have a full time job and I run a roofing

This answer was rated:

Hi. I am a female. I have a full time job and I run a roofing business in which my husband does the work. I have had the same accountant for over 20 years but, unfortunately, he died in September. He filed my return to HMRC but it transpires that he has filled the tax return form in wrongly and I have until January 31st to do another return. Can I do this myself and if so how or should I consult another accountant to do my 2013/14 books again? Many thanks
Welcome to Just Answer, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts.
Thanks for your question and I am sorry not only to hear about your accountant but also the fact you need to refill in the tax return.
You certainly can do this yourself, or can engage and accountant to help you, or if you could advise what has been undertaken incorrectly I may be able to help guide you through the corrections needed
Could you advise a little more about the problem HMRC advise has occurred?
Can you also advise whether you and your husband are a limited company, partnership or is he a sole trader and he employs you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Sam. I am sole proprietor and my husband is 71 years old but wants to carry on working. it seems that my accountant has put figures in the wrong sections of the tax return but I'm not sure how, the revenue didn't elaborate. I don't actually employ my husband as he does the work on a ad hoc basis and I'm happy if it just pays the bills. Turnover 13/14 £45000.00. Many thanks, Kath

Hi Kath
If you are a sole trader, rather than a partnership for tax purposes, then your husband should be treated as an employee as you are paying him to do the work.
Can I ask when this roofing business began
Is your husband the only worker or do you have others - and if there are other others do you operate payroll for them
Have you a copy of the tax return - as the accountant should have supplied you with one, or are you able to get access to one from the executor/next of kin of the accountant
Does your husband declare his income earned from the roofing business on a tax return?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Sam. I'm off to work now and won't be able to speak to you until this evening.

Firstly, my husband was contacted by the revenue about 6-7 years ago and asked regarding being on the payroll. He wrote back and told them, as I said, that he drew money on a ad hoc basis and was paid no salary being content to get shopping and pay bills etc. The revenue accepted this and he has a letter stating so. He does not fill in a tax return and his income is £400-00 PM from pensions.

The business started in 1987 and has run continuously. I don't employ anyone else.

I don't have a tax return but I do have a profit and loss statement for 13/14. It seems to me that Tom (accountant) has put outgoings in the wrong section on the tax return form as my PAYE at my work stopped me paying tax. This has now been reinstated. Tom, my accountant was 86 when he died and has this last few years made a few minor errors which were corrected and I intended to seek another accountant this year. Thank you, Kath

Hi Kath
Thanks for your responses - and as long as your husband is declaring this income even if paid on an ad hoc basis (as it would need to be considered along with his pensions, in case there is a tax liabilty)So he should at least be reporting the income he has been paid to HMRC so they can ensure he is not breaching personal allowances and a tax liability arises. So I would revisit this point with HMRC to be sure that its acceptable for your husband to continue as he was.
I have to ask, if you are not employing anyone and the business turns a profit of £45,000 then who actually does the work? I know I may seem (from your pint of view) going off point, but I need to establish the position so I can best advise.
However onto the mistakes made, The tax return will be made up of there parts - the main return - the employment page and the self employment page.
The main return asks after details such as pensions, and investment income, the employment page merely needs the pay and tax figures for 2013/2014 from your P60 (you do not indicate whether you have any benefits from your employer, such as company car, medical benefit etc, nor whether you incur any expenses such as subscriptions of a professional organisation etc)
But if no benefit and no expenses then that's the employment page rectified.
Then you have the self employment - which would declare the profits and the expenses (which can be reported as a single figure or as a breakdown (such as materials, professional costs, insurances etc)
If HMRC have not provided you with a return to fill in, then I can provide you with the relevant parts of the tax return you need. But you may prefer to file this online with HMRC free online services - and if so, I would be happy to guide you through the registration process.
If you need any further help with the return we can offer additional services, which through a phone call (I am based in the UK) can talk you through the completion - which might be easier than via a question and answer thread. This does involve an extra charge - but if you were to advise how much you were willing to offer, I could send an additional service request through, and would be happy to fit in around a time that suits you, as I appreciate you work full time. (so an evening or weekend)
Let me know how you would like to proceed.
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you