How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

If I own an Export and Import business with a Concierge division

Customer Question

If I own an Export and Import business with a Concierge division in a country outside the UK and the EU and my clients want UK retail products (a Bags, Shoes, Jewlry etc) do I have to pay any sort of tax in the UK other then the retail VAT? Furthermore, what are other UK (and EU) legal and tax implications I have to be aware of for this kind of business?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
In a word, no. If you spend more that 183 days in any one tax year in the UK then you are liable to UK tax on your world wide income, but that clearly is not the case here. As you surmise the only UK tax you will pay is VAT, but if the supplier is invoicing for goods and exporting same to your Concierge Division, located in a non EU jurisdiction, then their invoices should be charging a VAT rate of 0%; they are what is termed zero rated supplies. Just a small point, but worthy of consideration; it will improve your cash flow.
I assume that you yourself are not located nor running a business in the UK.
I do hope I have helped.