How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14157
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have retired and live in Scotland. My income is an MOD pension,

This answer was rated:

I have retired and live in Scotland. My income is an MOD pension, a Civil Service pension and the Sate pension. When income tax is devolved to Scotland, what rate will my pensions be taxed at if, for example, the Scottish government were to raise the income tax rate.
Thanks for your question, I am Sam and am one of the UK tax experts here on just answer.
The new legisislation due to be implemented from April 2016 will see the tax rates (so 20% 40% and 45%) reduced by 10% to 10% 30% and 25% then added on will be the Scottish rate which may be 10% (putting you back equal to UK) or may just be 9%
As yet no final decision has been made but in my expert opinion , I suspect it will initially be 9% will make you 1p better off for every taxable pound.
Sam and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you