How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4948
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Hi, my parents (live in EU, not UK citizens) have shared their

This answer was rated:

Hi, my parents (live in EU, not UK citizens) have shared their company with me this tax year to help with inheritance in the future. We have not received any profit from the company and I personally have never received any money. What do I need to put in my self-assessment then?
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
Gifts are outside the scope of UK taxation so, as you have received any income of from the company, nor capital gains on its shares, there is nothing to declare to HMRC. You will in the longer term be deemed to have received the shares at current market value. Should you receive any income from these shares at some future date that income would be subject to Income Tax. Any future gain made on disposal would come under the Capital Gains Tax regime.
This answer takes no account of any gift taxes imposed upon you or your parents by any other EU jurisdiction. France, for example, has some pretty horrendous gift taxes.
I do hope I have helped you with your question. Very brief I accept, but there simply isn't anything else to say!
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your excellent support.