How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4808
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Norwegian tax I worked in Norway for 30 days in Sept/Oct 2013.

Customer Question

Norwegian tax
I worked in Norway for 30 days in Sept/Oct 2013. Most of this time was spent at sea in Norwegian waters. I am PAYE and work for a UK company. For this period I paid £3600 tax to HMRC and just under £2000 to Norway. I have recently recieved further tax demands for a total of NOK 68000. If this is correct it would mean that I have actually paid to go work as the total will exceed the gross pay for the period in question. My company have so far not responded to my enquiries (for six weeks) and the money is due next week. Is my employer obliged to sort this out on my behalf or am I personally responsible for the amount along with fees and penalties? The enforcement notice comes into effect next week. Anyone know what my options are? Any advice is welcome.
Many thanks.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
There would certainly seem to be a problem here. Here are the contact details for Skatteetakaten, the Norwegian equivalent of HMRC. You will almost certainly have to make a Norwegian tax return to sort this out. Have a look at this web site which effectively confirms this:
Contact details are:
'Contact us
From Norway: 800 80 000
From abroad: +47 22 07 70 00
Central Office - Foreign Tax Affairs: +47 51 96 96 00
E-mail address of the Central Office - Foreign Tax Affairs:***@******.***
International Tax Collection Authority: +47 51 86 89 00
E-mail address of the International Tax Collection Authority:***@******.***'
Fortunately, all is not lost. There is a Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and Norway which precludes the same income stream being taxed in both jurisdictions. This is done by means of tax credits, any tax paid in one state being accepted as a tax credit by the other on the same income so in the long term you should not end up overtaxed.
You will notice that your UK employer cannot just sit back and do nothing. It is clear that he should have been doing a great deal to comply with Norwegian taxation rules. Perhaps that explains their convenient silence.
I do hope I have helped shed a little light on your position.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.

Have a look at

and you will see that you need to be resident in Norway for on aggregate of 183 days in a year to be liable to Norwegian tax, and you are nowhere near that total, to be classed as resident in Norway.

I suggest that you should put that point to Skatteetaten when you next contact that organisation.