How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14200
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I'm been working overseas since 2005 and have some savings

This answer was rated:

I'm been working overseas since 2005 and have some savings in an off-shore account. I'm returning to the UK to work.
Will I have any tax liability with bringing my savings into the UK?
Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
No liability at all, in bringing the money into the UK, as this was money saved whilst abroad, or taken out with you from the UK.
The only tax consideration you will have is any interest that is earned on these savings AFTER you have returned to the UK, whether an offshore, or UK bank/building society account, that will then have a UK tax consideration.
Let me know if you have any follow up questions on the advise provided.
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Sam,

I will be returning in January on the 12th, will the HRMC want to check my income in this tax year 2014/2015? I worked for 6 months in Thailand (taxes paid).

Will I need to complete a self assessment?

Kind regards,


Hi Mark
As you now asking for additional information, I have submitted an additional information request
HI ark
I appreciate the fact you did not want to make use of the additional services, but it would be appreciated if you could rate the level of service I provided for your original question, as this ensures Just Answer credit me for my time.