How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4956
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am self employed and charge out my business miles to my clients,

This answer was rated:

I am self employed and charge out my business miles to my clients, who pay me the HMRC rate. Do I show this as income and claim my mileage allowance fon my self assessment forms, or what?
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
This is deducted from your income in your accounts. It goes in Box 20 of the SA103F [if you submit a full return], alternatively in Box 12 of the SA103S [if the short version is utilised]. As self employed you have to complete a SA103 in addition to the SA100.
Simple, as the Mercat in the TV advert would say!
I do hope I have helped you with your query.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Keith, does this mean that I enter it as income on the left, then show it as a mileage expenditure on the right?

No, you merely deduct motor mileage in boxes 12/20 as appropriate.
Thank you for your support.