How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17645
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

Hi, My limited company bought a freehold commercial property

This answer was rated:

My limited company bought a freehold commercial property some 12 years ago, VAT was paid on the property.
At the time my company was registerd for VAT since then it has de-registerd.
I am now selling the property do I have to charge VAT?
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
In general, freehold commercial property more than 3 years old and residential property is exempt from VAT.
Sales of freehold or commercial land or a building or civil engineering work that in either case is less than three years old (from the date of completion) or is incomplete is a standard rate for VAT.
As this is more than 3 years old and you are not VAT registered you would not opt to charge VAT.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thanks for the answer- great service!