How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now


This answer was rated:



Take a look here for information on personal allowances. The allowance an individual can have is dependent on their age and income and can be £10,000, £10,500 or £10,660.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say ""it is safe to declare her rental income because her income still falls below the threshold of personal allowance". It isn't a choice I'm afraid. If the net of expenses rental income is £2,500 or more or is £10,000 or more before expenses then a self-assessment tax return must be submitted to the tax office. There is a guide here. The lady you are referring to can register for self-assessment here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you