How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5141
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Hi, I am filling in my self assessment tax return for 2013

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am filling in my self assessment tax return for 2013 - 2014. I am not sure what section I need to put some of my income in, can you help.
The income I am not sure about is:- I have a UK military pension what section does that come under? (I believe it does not count as state pension). I also have a NATO pension
which comes from Brussels, what section do I put this under? I have a savings account in The Netherlands which accrues interest (1%), I think the dutch take tax on that interest, do I need to declare that? I also have a small account in Luxembourg which the bank take tax from and pay to UK tax man. I do not think I need to declare this?

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

You will complete the following sections for your income and interest

UK Military pension -
would be reported on the main tax return within "UK pensions, annuities and other state benefits received"
Box 10 covers Pensions (other than State pension), retirement annuities and taxable triviality payments

Nato pension and interest from savings held in Foreign Bank accounts -
Complete supplementary pages SA106 - Foreign within the section "Income from Foreign Sources".

Show amounts in GBP and also show any foreign tax paid so you can claim credit relief against foreign tax paid.

You say you have now returned to live in the UK.
Please also complete supplementary pages SA109 - Residence, remittance basis etc. and declare your Residence status.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Hello Ian

I notice you have viewed my answer to your question about how to report pension income and interest from bank accounts heald overseas (JACUSTOMER-y0obyq25- Last Viewed on 12/19/2014 at 4:15 PM).

Just checking to see if you have any issues relating to your question that I may not have addressed.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for delay in answering. Thank you for your advice.

For your info, to fill in and submit supplementary pages SA106, you cannot do this on line without using commercial software. As I am late

completing my return I had to buy the software to complete the return.

Ian, thank you for your reply.

Filing tax return online for tax year ended 5 Apr 2014 - should be done on later than 31 Jan 2015. So you are not late in filing your tax return online.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate/accept the service I provided to ensure I get credited for it. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.