How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

My self employed business accounts start 1st October and end

This answer was rated:

My self employed business accounts start 1st October and end 30th September. Which set of trading figures should I base my current self assessment on?

How long have you been trading as a self-employed individual?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since 1st October 1994


Since you have been in business for so long and assuming that your accounts have always run from 1 October to 30 September, then for the 2014 self-assessment return, you should enter the figures for the period 1 October 2012 to 30 September 2013 which ends within the 2013/14 tax year.

You are assessed on the profit for the accounting period which ends within the tax year concerned, the tax year running from 6 April to 5 April. Take a look here for more information on calculating your self-employed income.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks,

I did manage to work that out for myself but I am greatful for the confirmation.


Please rate my answer before you leave the site.