How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have lived overseas for the past 11 years. My only UK income

Customer Question

I have lived overseas for the past 11 years. My only UK income is my MOD pension and I pay tax on it. Do I have to pay tax if I am no longer residing in the UK.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

As you receive a pension from the MOD, it will be what is called a government service pension as you can see here and will be taxable only in the UK unless the tax treaty between the UK and the country that you live in says otherwise. However, you will be entitled to a personal allowance if you fall into the criteria here to offset against it before any tax is calculated. If you were born after 5 April 1948, you should have a tax code of 1000L being operated against the pension. The personal allowances can be found here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.