How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4948
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a self employed childminder. I may have to get some help

This answer was rated:

I am a self employed childminder. I may have to get some help by way of an assistant for no more than 6 hours per week - on a "as and when needed" basis, different days, different hours, term time only. She is already self employed as she does some other work. Can I pay her on a self employed basis?

Hello Nicola, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question. This is a real Dad's Army 'Don't Panic' situation.

If she invoices you for her casual services of course you can pay her on a self employed basis. It is the normal way self employed professionals operate one to another.

Her invoices will form vouchers for an expense within your account.

I do hope I have set your mind at rest on this tiny problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

I have been reading on different forums etc about what other people have experienced with the tax office and the reason I am a bit unsure is that some have said that as I will potentially be paying someone to help me with a specific job then they should be employed and not self employed. If I can pay her as self employed then I do not need to let tax office know as she will sort out her own NI and tax etc??

Correct, if she is self employed she should have told HMRC and so registered. Her tax office will send her an annual self assessment tax return for her completion and on receipt of the return tell her what tax and NI is payable.
Employment does not in generally apply to casual labour which is what this arrangement comprises. All you will do is have more expenses within your accounts which will reduce your overall profit for the year.
Please be so kind as to tare me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.
As an aside when you get a bill from your solicitor or accountant you are not expected to deduct tax and send it to HMRC. If you were a sub contract worker in the building industry that's an entirely different kettle of fish, but you are not!