How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4808
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Hello, I would be most grateful if you could tell me if a local

This answer was rated:

Hello, I would be most grateful if you could tell me if a local authority is permitted by virtue of the The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992, or any other legislation, to transfer a credit amount in one council tax account to another council tax account without the consent of the council tax account holder. Thank you.
I approach your question with a degree of caution. It appears from a number of local authority web sites that an individual has one council tax account number. The majority of people will have but one number, but if they move house within the same authority the Waveney Council will move the council tax account to ensure that the correct tax for the relevant occupation is collected. This would appear to be undertaken on their own authority.
If a person holds multiple properties they would have several council tax account numbers. In those circumstances transfer of funds between accounts without consent might be considered improper, but an application for a council tax account number may well include a clause giving implied consent to transfer without specific further consent by the account holder.
I am of the opinion that you should challenge the authority involved as to their tight to make such transfers.
Here is the Which guide as to the effect of moving house:
'Council tax when you move home
If you move home, you need to let the council know in advance, so that they can stop charging you council tax for your old address from the day you move out.
If you are staying within the borough, they will adjust your bill to a new rate.
If you are moving further afield, your new council should be notified, and will start charging you council tax based on your new property's rating from the day you move in.'
So you can see in these circumstances how an adjustment might be deemed to be authorized and an adjustment made between accounts.
I do hope that I have given you some assistance with your conundrum.
bigduckontax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your explicit response!

Delighted to have been of assistance.

Thank you for your support.