How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4960
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Hello. I took out an offshore investment while I was living

This answer was rated:

Hello. I took out an offshore investment while I was living and tax resident in Dubai and cashed it in after returning to the UK. The nature of the investment was that it paid a bonus if a group of stock market indices all rose year on year (and nothing if not). It paid a bonus twice while I was still in Dubai and three times after repatriating. For my tax return do I report unearned income or a capital gain?
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question. In the tax year of your return HMRC should split the year into two portions, one non resident and one resident. When you originally left the UK you should have notified HMRC of your departure by means of a form P85. Fortunately you can do this at any time and on line into the bargain.
In my opinion the three bonus payments made once you returned to these shores are unearned income and should be so declared on SA100 [Annual Self Assessment Return form]. Any gain made on cashing in would be within the Capital Gains Tax regime.
Of course for income you have a personal allowance dependent on age. For the majority, those of working age, it is 10K. For capital gains you have an Annual Exempt Amount of 11K also. These sums can be used to reduce your exposure to the relevant tax.
I do hope I have shed some light on your situation.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.