How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14198
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Hi There You had answered some questions for us about 2 years

This answer was rated:

Hi There
You had answered some questions for us about 2 years back. We now need to file the annual returns as we own a property in UK. Can you hlep us file?
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
I (nor any other expert) can actually assist in your filing. We can answer specific questions about your filing of a tax declaration.
I checked and did not see any other questions listed under your user name.
If you would like to post a specific question about your filing, such as the type of property you own in the UK (rental perhaps) and the information you seek about that property and filing I or another expert woudl be more than happy to assist.
Thanks for your question and asking for me - I can guide you through what entries are put where within the tax return if that would help?
Let me know what tax year, and what entries of income there are - and I can advise further as to the best way to proceed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Sam

We need to file for the income Year April 6 2013 to April 5 2014. My wife and I have rental income and need to file by 31st January. I also receive pension. I tried to file online earlier today but as we are non residents we were directed to purchase software on the HMRC site. I thought it would be easier if you could act as our tax agent and file on our behalf. Would that be possible? I filed last year (nil return for my wife and just the pension receipts for me but the system may have changed.

My income is:

Rental 6,391.53

Management Fee (1078.14)

Pension- London Transport 2,091.54

Pension - Rentokil Initai 700.44

Tax Deducted (33.60)

My Wife's Rental Income 6,391.38

Management Fee paid (1,078.17)

Thanks for your response
I am afraid we are unable to take on clients on a one to one basis through the work we undertake in affiliation with Just Answer, and as you are not resident you will need to file a paper return (although the deadline for paper returns was 31/10/2014) or purchase software that will support the non residency aspect of the return, as HMRCs free online services does yet support the residency returns.
If you filed online last year , then I have to assume you either filed a paper return OR missed out the residency page completely.
I can talk you through the completion of the paper return, but note there will be £100 penalty for each return (£100 for you and £100 for your wife Let me know how you would like to proceed, and then I can offer up a time later that suits you and I, to advise what to put where (and which forms within the tax return to print off)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh dear! That's a pity.

Let me try the software/ online filing approach and if that gets complex we 'll come back to you for a paper filing.

Our previous communication was on *****@******.*** but I don't see this coming through my email.

Thanks for your help.

BTW, Happy New Year

I am sorry - most of us experts do have our own businesses - so do take on clients, but we cannot allow the work we do with Just Answer to cross over into that remit, as this was one of the terms and conditions we agree to when we sign up for Just Answer.
If you do need to go down the paper file route, then make sure its by the end of this week (by 9th Jan) as you do not want to miss the final deadline of 31st Jan (and incur a further penalty)
I should note that your email address has been blocked out on your last post, for security reasons, but as you have resigned up with Just Answer (a new account has been allocated) then unless you re-entered the same email address, then no notifications will come through to you. But all new (with this account) question and answer threads can be viewed through "MY Questions" with this account.
It maybe as it was so long ago, and there had been inactivity that the old account had been closed.
Just make sure you email address is listed within your account details.
Happy new Year to you too
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14198
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you