How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have been appointed as Executor of my mother's estate. I

This answer was rated:

I have been appointed as Executor of my mother's estate. I have completed and submitted her paper work and now have received Grant of Probate. Now all the money has been collected and bills have been paid it would seem that her estate is worth more than her allowance allows.
How do I ensure that any further tax liability is paid before I distribute the money as required by the Will?
Many thanks
Hi Judith
Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
You just need to amend the Inheritance tax form submitted to HMRC and there is a form for you to do this.
This will allow the correct details to be reported and any excess tax due to be calculated and paid over to HMRC
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I complete this form myself or does it have to be done by a tax officer/advisor?

Thanks for your response
You complete this yourself.
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you