How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4944
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I work outside the UK all throughout the year with short

This answer was rated:

Hi I work outside the UK all throughout the year with short visits back to the UK every month or so. I am employed on a permanent contract and would like to gather some knowledge if I could claim any tax back?
Thanks Ross
Hello Ross, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
If you spend more than 183 days in the UK in any one tax year then as an UK citizen you will be taxable on your world wide income as normal.
To avoid UK taxation you should ensure that you do not spend more than 91 days in the country in any one tax year. Although this 91 days can be averaged over 4 tax years most experts advice on this site is never to exceed the 91 days. If you achieve this than you may be able to reclaim overpaid tax.
If you are by chance an oil rig worker I cannot advise you as even HMRC will not be drawn on this subject and require each case to be considered by them on its own merits.
It might be adviseable to submit a form P85 to your tax office so they can classify you as non resident and later advise them of the termination of the contract and your return to the UK at some future indeterminate date.
I cannot, of course, take into account any taxation matters in respect of the country where you work, but if there is a Double Taxation Treaty in force between the UK and that country, and there are hundreds of these, and a system of tax credits ensures that the same income stream is not taxed in both jurisdictions.
I do hope I have been able to shed some light on your situation.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Also I receive a per diem per day which gets added to my wages and taxed every week. Do you know if this is correct or is there anyway to stop me being taxed of this per diem. The per diem is an over night allowance which is used for food drinks etc. Any help will be grateful Ross XXX

Allowances for working away from home do not usually attract tax.
You should take this up with your employer, however, they might be taxed in locations according the the relevant rules operating outside the UK.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thankyou I shall take this up with them. I have been getting taxed on this since I started working for them over two years ago. Though my collages who work for them from the likes of Denmark do not get taxed on this. That is why I found it strange, would the best person to take this to in regards ***** ***** company be in the payroll ?
The payroll supervisor or say someone in HR.